A 21-year-old NEET aspirant hanged himself on Thursday in his house Lakhimpur Kheri's Gangotrinagar locality over the cancellation of the NEET after a paper leak, a family member said.
The suicide of a NEET aspirant in Uttar Pradesh, allegedly due to the cancellation of the medical entrance exam, has triggered strong reactions from opposition leaders who are demanding accountability and compensation for the family.
The CBI is investigating the alleged involvement of a public servant associated with the National Testing Agency (NTA) in the NEET-UG paper leak case. Several arrests have been made, including lecturers and individuals accused of distributing leaked questions for monetary gain.
A special CBI court in Godhra on Saturday granted the probe agency four-day custody of Jay Jalaram School's principal Purushottam Sharma, teacher Tushar Bhatt, and middlemen Vibhor Anand and Arif Vohra, all of whom are alleged to be involved in irregularities in the May 5 NEET-UG exam in Godhra.
National Testing Agency (NTA) director general Abhishek Singh on Tuesday said the schedule for the re-conduct of the cancelled NEET-UG 2026 examination would be announced within the next seven to ten days, while assuring students that strict action was being taken against those involved in the alleged paper leak.
A 20-year-old NEET aspirant allegedly committed suicide at her residence in Delhi. The incident occurred after the National Testing Agency cancelled the NEET exam held on May 3 due to paper leak allegations, scheduling a re-examination for June 21.
The plea alleged that NEET-UG, 2024, was riddled with malpractices as various instances of paper leaks have come to the knowledge of the petitioners.
Stressing that every question paper has been "accounted for", the NTA said that purported images of the question paper circulating on social media have no relation with the actual paper.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested two persons including a key accused in the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test-Undergraduate (NEET-UG) paper leak case who allegedly stole the paper from a National Testing Agency's trunk in Hazaribagh in Jharkhand, officials said Tuesday.
The top court, however, refused to stay the counselling of successful candidates for admissions to Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Dental Surgery and other courses.
A 20-year-old NEET aspirant allegedly died by suicide at her home in Delhi after the NEET exam was cancelled. Family members suspect the cancellation of the national entrance test led to her taking this extreme step.
Here are all the details you need to know about the NEET-UG re-exam.
Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan on Thursday rejected allegations of paper leak in medical entrance exam National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test-Undergraduate (NEET-UG), saying there is no evidence of it.
Rather than thinking it as an unfortunate event, experts urge students to see it as 'another opportunity to improve your score. Focus on improving in your weak chapters/units.'
Rather than thinking it as an unfortunate event, experts urge students to see it as 'another opportunity to improve your score. Focus on improving in your weak chapters/units.'
The counselling session was likely to begin in the first week of July. However, the counselling authorities had not notified any date or schedule.
The Bihar Police's Economic Offences Unit, which is probing the alleged National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (Undergraduate) (NEET-UG) paper leak case, on Saturday claimed to have obtained reference question papers of the test conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) and planned to compare these with documents recovered from a flat in Patna during a search operation last month.
'22 students are fighting over 35,000 seats. In that situation, when someone tells a desperate parent there is a shortcut, and the shortcut costs Rs 3 to Rs 5 lakh versus Rs 1.5 crore -- the maths is seductive.'
Gandhi said Modi's top priority now is to get his Speaker in Parliament and is not bothered about NEET .
The agency is under criticism amid allegations of irregularities and inflation of marks in the crucial medical entrance exam.
'You sat for the exam. You experienced the environment -- the pressure, the time constraints, the pattern of questions, where you were strong, where you struggled. That experience is invaluable. No amount of coaching can replicate that.'
'This is not the end of your preparation. It is an unexpected extension of the race,' say experts.
The notification of the Act comes just a day after Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan was asked when the legislation would be implemented. The minister had said the law ministry was framing the rules.
Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan announced the NEET-UG re-examination will be held on June 21, with plans to transition to a computer-based test from next year. This decision follows allegations of irregularities in the original exam, prompting strict action and a commitment to ensuring fairness for students.
Rao suggested changes should also be brought in the evaluation methods and pitched for introduction of an open-book examination system for competitive examinations designed to test the candidates' "competence, aptitude, attitude and Intelligence Quotient".
The National Testing Agency (NTA) has announced that the NEET-UG medical entrance exam, which was cancelled due to alleged irregularities, will be re-conducted on June 21.
The Trinamool Congress has launched a sharp attack on the Narendra Modi government over rising fuel prices, economic concerns, and exam irregularities, accusing the Centre of betraying citizens.
There were strong indications that the minister may announce the cancellation of the exam and action against NTA DG Subodh Kumar Singh, who was summoned by the ministry earlier in the day.
'Aspiring doctors have put in years of their lives to study in preparation for NEET exams as they start studies from Class 9 to get good marks.' 'And today, after the NEET paper leak, these students even after getting good marks are unable to get admission in any good medical college (because of inflated merit marks due to the paper leak).' 'They are thinking, was it worthwhile to study so hard for the examinations to become a doctor?'
Surabhi Kumari was taken into custody after two days of detailed questioning by the CBI, the officials said.
Sanjeev Kumar alias Sanjeev 'Mukhiya', an alleged kingpin behind the NEET paper leak, was not only minting money but wanted to become an MP or MLA.
The statement implicated members of the Mukhiya gang, accused of orchestrating multiple interstate paper leaks, as the source of the leaked answer sheet.
Congress chief whip Jairam Ramesh has filed a privilege notice against Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan for allegedly making derogatory remarks about a parliamentary committee, claiming he lowered the dignity of Parliament.
The Centre on Monday made public the rules under the recently-notified anti-paper leak law, mandating the National Recruitment Agency (NRA) to prepare norms, standards and guidelines for the computer-based tests among others.
The Centre has extended the tenure of CBI chief Praveen Sood by one year, marking his second extension in office. The decision follows a meeting of the selection committee headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
The cancellation of UGC-NET, amid the raging row over NEET, led to questions being raised over National Testing Agency's (NTA) capability to conduct exams of larger magnitude.
A fresh examination shall be conducted, for which information shall be shared separately, a senior Ministry of Education (MoE) official said.
The credibility of the examination system has also come under question, they said.
Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi raised the issue of irregularities in NEET soon after the Lok Sabha assembled for the day, prompting Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to assert that a separate discussion cannot be held till the House finishes with the motion of thanks on the president's address.
The National Testing Agency, under fire over the lapses in the conduct of NEET and UGC-NET, is gearing up to conduct on Sunday a retest for the medical entrance exam for 1,563 candidates who were earlier awarded grace marks to make up for the loss of time at six centres.